Thursday, September 16, 2010

Suffering/Experiences: Witnesses as He Proves His Words

The Lord Proveth All His Words

I was studying in the Book of Mormon about how the Lord, "... proveth all his words."  (2 Nephi 11:3)Sometimes suffering is experienced so that we can witness as He proves His word.  I have seen this happen over and over in my own life.  While I was going through the experience I couldn't see what good would come out of the experience.  However, afterwards in looking back, I could see how the Lord's hand was very much a part of the process.  I could now stand as a witness/testify.  Thus He could prove His word through me.

One such example was in June of 2006 when I was in a car accident with my children.  A truck pushed our van into the truck in front of us at an accelerated speed.  I had been dealing with back problems for 6 years prior, and was coping yet praying for some kind of back relief.  After impact (without thinking as I was in shock), I jumped out of the van and yanked open the side van door to see if my children were ok.  At that moment, I felt something snap in my back.  The next several months were spent dealing with a lot of pain and frustration.  Ugh!  I just wanted to be a good mom and be able to take care of my children.  In 2007, we found a neuro-surgeon who was able to operate in March of that year, and make an amazing improvement on my back. 

There were many blessings that resulted.  One of the biggest was that because of the accident (the one thing I was so upset about), my entire surgery was paid for.  It was a huge expense completely covered.  I didn't realize until way afterwards that the accident actually turned out to be a huge blessing.  The Lord had answered my prayers in a way I wouldn't have dreamed about!  Now because of this experience (and many others), I can stand as a witness as He proves His words.  In this example, that He did indeed hear and answer my prayers.

I would love to hear other stories where because of suffering/experiences you can now stand as a witness proving His words.

4 comments:

  1. Anne I'm not sure if this fits in here but I thought that I would share. I"m reading a book entitled "The Incredible Gifts of Women 12 Gifts That Will Change Your Life Now." I know that you and I are very visual people. The section that I was reading tonite spoke about two scrap books that are being created. One scrap book about how we lived our lives and the other scrap book about how we could have lived our lives. We will see these scrap books when we reach the other side. Here is the quote from the book. "Heavenly Father says "I gave you all the gifts. I would have given you more direction if you had only asked. You weren't willing when opportunities arose to take a risk, to move out of your comfort zone, to better yourself. Before you left my side, I told you to 'seek ye earnestly the best gifts' (D&C 46:8), and to 'neglect not the gift that is in thee' (1 Timothy 4:14)." I know that my Heavenly Father watches out for me and my family everyday. I often find myself saying thank you to Heavenly Father for keeping me safe when the situation cld have harmed me. Thanks for starting this blog. I think that you was inspired to do so. Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I think that offering gratitude to Heavenly Father is key. Thank you for blogging with me. I have already been so uplifted from the comments that have been left (like yours). I'm also grateful you are willing to share your many talents and gifts with our ward. You are needed! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne, thanks for sharing this powerful insight. The Lord works in awesome ways and is with us more than we realize. Yours is a beautiful story. I am thankful for the Lord’s Tender Mercies in our lives and found two of them the day I returned from visiting you. When I walked into the house my husband let me know he had mistakenly taken a large dose of his fast-acting insulin in place of the smaller slow-acting he should have taken. We tried to off-set it with fruit juice and pudding. He wanted to rest. A few minutes later I went to check and found him clammy wet all over. I felt as though someone unseen helped me sit him up and get a vial of fast-sugar down him. (He cannot remember that at all.) His sugar level was 23. Impossible! I took it again. 23! I could not rouse him. No way could he swallow or chew glucose tablets. He needed more sugar and I could not give it to him. I called 911. When they arrived he was at 45 – tender mercy #1: What would have happened if he had not taken that vial of glucose before they arrived? Paramedics gave him glucose injections. It rose to 52. (Never should go below 50.) They refused to leave until he was above 80. Took longer than expected. Had I not been home he would have had no chance! That I call the other tender mercy. You know how tricky it was for me to catch that plane. I just had to get home and the Lord answered my prayer. Yes, He knows all things and He answers all prayers – in His own wise way. I too stand as a witness that He lives and that He loves us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tender mercy #2 was my having such an inspired and charitable wife.

    ReplyDelete